- Developer Doc
- Introduction to Gnowsis
- Project Files Structure
- Use Cases
Outdated Gnowsis.org Development Site
welcome to the outdated gnowsis.org development page. Gnowsis.org in Version 0.9 is published here, it was the first Semantic Desktop service environment published by the Knowledge Management Lab of the DFKI. Gnowsis.org Version 0.9 was a reference implementation of parts of the Nepomuk Semantic Desktop framework. Development has stopped, but the story continues:
- The Nepomuk project provides a standardized, conceptual framework for Semantic Desktops. Its most prominent implementation is http://nepomuk.kde.org
- The Company Gnowsis.com provides commercial Semantic Desktop software as Software-As-A-Service and for Windows users, checkout their product here: http://www.cluug.com.
DFKI and Leo Sauermann wish these follow-up activities much success. Also check out the websites of the NEPOMUK partners for more products.
Here you find most documentation on current gnowsis development and our workplace for future releases. The main website of gnowsis is www.gnowsis.org.
Alpha VS Beta
Gnowsis has been alpha until Februar 2006. We stopped working on the alpha code and now concentrate on the beta, which is partly a re-write. You will find documentation related to the alpha and beta versions. NOTICE: although the current version is called "beta" we have experienced many bugs with it and do not suggest it for production use, it is rather intended for fellow scientists at the moment. Development of the Semantic Desktop community, including us, now focusses on the Nepomuk project, where gnowsis parts are reused.
How to Use Gnowsis?
- Download - download and install gnowsis
- GnowsisUsage - how to use gnowsis?
- GnowsisFaq - frequently asked questions
- UnderstandingGnowsis - how to learn gnowsis? tips on good introductionary documents, etc
- GnowsisProjectStructure - what packages are where, whats all this code about?
- GnowsisComponents - what components does gnowsis consist of?
- UseCases - what are the handled use cases?
- publications (more to come)
- about - some facts about the project
- credits - credits
- Developer Doc - BETA: tutorials, overview
- GnowsisDevelopingBeta - getting started with developing the gnowsis beta
- GnowsisProjectPlan - what to do at the moment
- Updates - updates that the system will run
- JoinGnowsis - be part of the team
There are several sub-projects and related projects that we use/work on to make gnowsis run:
- GnoSeek - web interface for search
- EposWorkspace - the backbone architecture
- GnognoComp - gui components
- LuceneSail - using lucene to text-index sesame2
- SesameWebInterface - a port of sesame1 web interface to sesame2
- SesameToJena - accessing Sesame2 repositories using the Jena graph interface
- GnowsisEvaluation - scientific evaluation of gnowsis in 2006 and 2007
- NepomukEvaluation2008 scientific evaluation of NEPOMUK in 2008
- GnowsisDevelopers - who is contributing to gnowsis?
- JoinGnowsis - be a developer
- 0.9.2 release party
Gnowsis Workshops. Continually, we do workshops on the Semantic Desktop in Germany, there have already been two, one is planned. Next Workshop:
- SemDeskHandsOn2006April - the next hack, this time in KL
IRC served us well. Many SemWeb people have accounts on freenode, to hang out in #swig. Clients:
General Information Mailinglist
see also GnowsisMailinglists
T-Shirts Merchandise''' we have new T-Shirts! GnowsisTshirt.
Gnowsis started in June 2002 when Leo Sauermann decided to make a diploma thesis about cyberspace. At the beginning of 2003, the first implementation was done in the dark ages of Semantic Web. RDFSuite was a kind of state of the art, Jena was in version 1. Based on the prototype, a diploma thesis was published in 2003. Leo moved to DFKI and the project was published in September 2004. It was integrated into the EPOS research project. Based on this experience, the Nepomuk project now develops a standardized, conceptual framework for Semantic Desktops, with gnowsis as reference implementation of parts.
- GnowsisProjectPlan - the plan what features we will do in the next year, who does what and why. Here you find use-case descriptions, features, GUI mockups, detailed package descriptions and unit descriptions.
- Roadmap - the current roadmap of gnowsis, what features to develop next, what bugs to fix.
- GnowsisBrainstorm - what to do next with the gnowsis? Here we list ideas, that are not included in the project plan yet.